Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Heavenly send off

What is that saying about two certainties…death and taxes....Or Death is the surest calculation that can be made?
Morbid you may say for a midweek conversation, however in Australia they are changing their tune about death…the funeral tune that is.
It appears in Australia, friends and family are hell bent on a good old musical send off for the dearly departed…

Apparently Highway to Hell, with lyrics including "Going down, party time", is among a number rock classics, including Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven, that are replacing traditional hymns in Adelaide.
Funeral managers at Centennial Park, the largest cemetery and crematorium in the city, said only two hymns still rank among its top 10 most popular funeral songs: Amazing Grace and Abide With Me.
Leading the funeral chart is crooner Frank Sinatra's classic hit My Way followed by Louis Armstrong's version of Wonderful World.
The Led Zeppelin and AC/DC anthems rank outside the top 10, but have gained ground in recent years as more Australians give up traditional Christian hymns.
"Some of the more unusual songs we hear actually work very well within the service because they represent the person's character," Centennial Park chief executive Bryan Elliott said.
Among other less conventional choices were Always Look on the Bright Side of Life by Monty Python, Ding Dong the Witch is Dead from the Wizard of Oz, Hit the Road Jack, Another One Bites the Dust by Queen and I'll Sleep When I'm Dead.

I am a big Pixies fan so no helleluyas for me, I would request "This monkeys gone to Heaven" when I decide to kick the bucket, or when someone decides to go ahead and kick it for me!

I think Winston Churchill got it just about right: "I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."

The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time. ~Mark Twain
Amen, or something like that…choose your own variation in the spirit of life!

3 comments:

  1. You've gotta love Spike Milligan's epitaph: ' I told you I was sick.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. whats an epitaph? is it a horse?
    Lol Spikes thingy magi...ggy is funny.

    "The best is yet to come."
    Frank Sinatra
    Might have been better and cheesier if he had said: I did it my way!"

    "That's all, folks!"
    Mel Blanc (the epithaph is the trademark line of cartoon character Porky Pig, whose voice was provided by Blanc for many years)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I told you so, you damned fools."
    H. G. Wells

    ReplyDelete