Wednesday, July 1, 2009

You say dope I say caine


So here is a shocking news flash – Cyclist banned after dope test!

Dutch cyclist Thomas Dekker will miss the Tour de France after testing positive for the banned blood-booster EPO, his Silence team announced.
Ironic that name Silence… innit!

I find it amazing that cyclists still think they can get away with cheating in the sport after so much publicity and drug testing.
It makes me think that either these cyclists are as thick as pig shit, or they truly believe they can get away with it, and perhaps most of them still are?
Don’t get me wrong, I ams amazed at the achievements of cyclists who complete the Tour De France. It is one of my favourite events to watch…so far only on the telly. In my view it is the most difficult endurance sport on the planet.
Cyclists cover 3500 kilometres in, with the longest event-taking place in 1926 at 5,745 km. The fastest road stage was the 1999 stage Laval-Blois (194.5 km), won by Mario Cipollini at an average speed of 50.355 km/h and riders will continue these speeds and distances for weeks at a time – enough said.
I say if riders are taking that much punishment, let them take drugs – as many as their beating hearts can take. It was said that Miguel Indurain – the Spanish King of the Tour De France in the mid 90’s had a normal heart rate of about 40 beats per minute. Imagine what he would have been capapble of had he been allowed EPO etc.
The danger of course is that your heart can beat so fast that it explodes… Kapow.

Still, my all time favourite sports song is Queens Bicycle Race as an ode to the amazing racing spectacle that is the Tour De France…
Fat Bottom Girls indeed
On Your Marks get set go…priceless lyrics

Bicycle races are coming your waySo forget all your duties oh yeahFat bottomed girls they'll be riding todaySo look out for those beauties oh yeahOn your marks get set goBicycle race bicycle race bicycle race
You say coke I say caineYou say John I say WayneHot dog I say cool it manI don't wanna be the President of AmericaYou say smile I say cheeseCartier I say pleaseIncome tax I say JesusI don't wanna be a candidate forVietnam or WatergateCause all I wanna do is…
I wonder if Freddie was aluding to drugs in the sport when he mentiones Bolivian marching powder in his song lyrics...genius was our Freddie - RIP good man!

1 comment:

  1. As a big bottomed girl, learning to ride a bike and living a life seamingly far from Bolivia, I can't possibly comment.

    But I do know where I was when Freddie died.

    ReplyDelete