Monday, January 18, 2010

Pimp that sh&t

So I watched a screening of the Jonathan R(W)oss show on the weekend on BBC Prime.
He introduced a band to sign off his show, a young ginger girl named Florence…well her band name is Florence and the Machine, so I can only assume that her name is in fact Florence…a quick Google confirmed that.
Thanks to the power of the net, you can track 'similar' artists to those you have historically liked, to cater for your musical ears. And being the global community that it is, you can talk to others who share similar tastes for new music.
And this great find comes not a moment too soon as my music taste of late has gone 'retro'…which really just means that I have dragged out some old CDs from my collection ands started to repopulate them again, partly because I have been lazy, and also because there just doesn’t seem to be much good stuff about lately..cue RadioHead, Pixies and even some BeachBoys…

So it was with great enthusiasm that I boasted to Lauren on Sunday evening as she downloaded new music from I-tunes onto her laptop (she is good that way) that I had found a great new band…
"Oh that’s great my love," she winced. (Our musical tastes are like chalk and cheese, wine and vinegar…mine is the wine, hers is definitely vinegar) Of course I would say that, but honestly – Hip hop?
To Lauren's credit, I have actually started to like some of the more commercial stuff in that genre as result of her generosity to burn CD's for me to listen to in the car on the way to work. I am dope with that.
When a taxi cuts me off, I just turn up the volume to..Im'a gonna pop a cap in your ass' – and breath out as I mentally picture the carnage that would follow such an act… its really quite beautiful.
Lauren generally leaves my gift on the kitchen counter with a little 'I love you' note inscribed on the CD, but it got me thinking…Is this not just sugar-coating what is essentially a gherkin? Am I getting played? Is this a plot to take over my senses, flip my script?
I am of course only kidding; I am touched by her sentiment, and even more so to hear new sounds, besides if I start to dis her rap, there will be no more booty calling, do you catch my nut? That girlfriend will cash me out - I would be as much use as a Christmas cracker, dog.
My girl is fly, that’s the 411 on her, I am her pimp, and she is my erm ho? Not if I wanna share her crib with her tonite..or ever again.

My girl is sweat, dope and smokin - no amount of Benjamins could tell me otherwise!

Anyway, gotsta fly, I have a bathroom door that is in serious need of graffitti
Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment