Thursday, June 11, 2009

OCD – Over Critical, Dummy


So there are signs that I might have OCD – obsessive-compulsive disorder. What are the signs? Well two people have told me….thanks very much. OCD is an anxiety disorder characterized by involuntary recurrent, unwanted thoughts (obsessions) and/or repetitive behaviours. That might explain the weird Dutchmen on bicycles that come into my mind ever now and then causing me to fall on my head.
Apparently OCD is the fourth most common mental disorder and is diagnosed nearly as often as the physiological ailments asthma, and diabetes. In the US one in 50 adults has OCD – wow.
I am not sure that I have started to feel embarrased just because I cant stand to see a dirty dish, or that my hands are starting to peel off the bone because of the religious washing process. Sometimes I like to count the number of steps I take to get to my car in the morning, and sometimes I like to count the cornflakes in my cereal bowl.
Wiki-innit-pedia says: Obsessions 1. Recurrent and persistent thoughts, impulses or images that are experienced as intrusive and that cause marked anxiety or distress. 2. The thoughts, impulses, or images are not simply excessive worries about real-life problems. 3. The person attempts to ignore or suppress such thoughts, impulses, or images, or to neutralize them with some other thought or action. 4. The person recognizes that the obsessional thoughts, impulses, or images are a product of his or her own mind, and are not based in reality. Compulsions 1. Repetitive behaviors or mental acts that the person feels driven to perform in response to an obsession, or according to rules that must be applied rigidly. 2. The behaviors or mental acts are aimed at preventing or reducing distress or preventing some dreaded event or situation; however, these behaviors or mental acts are not actually connected to the issue, or they are excessive.
In addition to these criteria, at some point during the course of the disorder, the individual must realize that his/her obsessions or compulsions are unreasonable or excessive. OK stop right fuggin there. So if I don’t make my bed, or anyone elses, when compelled to, or wash up after myself, or for the US army, I am normal, but if I decide to iron my bed linnen while its still on the bed, or wash my hands twice each time after touching a foreign object, I have OCD. ….OK so maybe I have OCD. Where do I go for my meds.

No comments:

Post a Comment