Monday, June 1, 2009

Happy Alive Day

I am at an age where birthday celebrations only have real meaning every 10 years or so. I don’t get all that excited by turning a year older.
In fact, I still get stuck on a certain milestone, which only gets updated every five or so years. So today, I am 28, and have been for at least er three years.

Enough about me though, Brit Mathew Maguire must be over the moon about having a birthday today.
A militant group in southern Nigeria said that it plans to release British hostage, Maguire who it has been holding for the past nine months.
"Today, June 1 is Mathew Maguire's birthday. He has spent close to nine months in captivity and we hope to release him today as his gift," the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) said in an email to the media.
Maguire, an oil worker, has been held captive in the Niger Delta since September.
He was abducted along with another Briton, Robin Barry Hughes, who was released in April on health grounds.
Perhaps a note to any other hostage victims out there, if asked by your friendly militant group to fill out a form outlining your personal details, under the question birthday? Today would be a good answer.
So happy birthday old boy, and may you have many more…
Matt shares his birthday with a few other people today, including Marilyn Monroe, Alanis Morissette, Heidi Klum (with whom I would happily share my birthday), and Morgan Freeman (less so) but I think bookies have stopped taking bets on who will enjoy the day the most...

No comments:

Post a Comment