Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Handbags, Gladrags and breasts


What on earth do woman put into their handbags? That is the question that has been jabbing me in the ribs all day today.
OK that makes me sound a little overcooked, but I ask because I have seen some particularly interesting stuff taken out lately. I attended a breakfast briefing this morning and noticed that the young lady sitting in front of me pulled out a note pad and red pen, while the key note speaker provided ammunition for a serious sleep session.
“Ah” I thought, “the man on the podium must have some pearls of wisdom to merit her note taking after all.”
However, dismay as the young lady began to flip through her pad revealing nothing more than a host of really childish sketches. I am not talking Pablo Picasso style drawings? Think drawings by four-year-old kids on the fridge. This young lady will not be cutting her ear off any time soon. The drawings in a word were terrible.
It reminded me of a time when I was still studying at university. A friend and I attended an English lecture one afternoon. As I sat and listened to the lecturer drone on, I noticed that something had caught Greg’s attention to his left, with me sitting on his right. Suddenly he started to rummage through a handbag that had been placed on the chair to his left. Lipstick? check, eyeliner? check, fake boobs? What? Greg suddenly brought out a set of fake breasts – similar to those Roman Armour Breast Plate things one gets from a costume shop, but female style breasts.
Greg had a very inquisitive look on his face as he nudged me in the ribs to share his discovery, holding them up high for everyone to see. I nudged him back and told him to put it back, but Greg didn’t seem to understand that going through a woman’s bag is a no no in any language.


Before he could mutter another word, a the girl ripped the fake breasts away from Greg, gave him all kinds of dirty looks and placed the rubber mould back into her bag.
By this time, Greg’s discovery had created quite a stir from our immediate classmates and the whole incident erupted in to raucous laughter, much to the poor girls embarrassment.Anyway that’s all I have to say about that, but perhaps any female readers might like to enlighten me further on my question at the top of the page. What do women put into their bags?

1 comment:

  1. This really appealed to me Gareth!!! I'm going to state the obvious & say it depends what stage of your life you are at! I'm a 30-something Mum of two in the UK so, deep breath, here it goes:

    Bag is a much-loved apple-green leather number which I bought to celebrate having potty-trained two kiddies & no longer needed to carry the nappy changing stuff & five changes of clothes.

    1) large lined notebook
    2) large Dodopad diary (yes a technophobe but also because I love stationery. I write with a fountain pen if I can!). I'm a huge fan of Dodopads, mine has it's own recycled Italian leather cover in pink!
    3) Phone
    4) 2 x traffic light lollipops (bribery purposes)
    5) arnica tablets
    6) Some of those bright blue catering plasters - supplied in a panic when my son fell over boshed his nose when we were out for a meal one evening. Blue plasters on nose?? An unusual look unless you are trying to look like Adam Ant........
    7) Purse
    8) Lipliner in dark red
    9) / miscellaneous - brush, wet wipes, mints, gym card, roll-on sun cream (comes out green!!) - it rocks!!

    What do you keep in yours?

    J

    ReplyDelete