Monday, September 14, 2009

Why I love Banana boxes

For all those people born after 1985, look away now.
When I growing up I used to travel down to the Natal South Coast to visit my grandparents during most holidays.
For me, it meant three things – sun, sea, and Readers Digest. My nanna and gramps used to subscribe to the great magazine and had banana boxes full of old editions collected since, well probably the 2nd Great War.
My particular favourites were All in a Day's Work and Humour in Uniform…jokes and real lifers submitted by the readers themselves, amid the true life stories like: I survived 35 days in the forest by eating my brother…

Apparently one of the early stories sent in: A wealthy New Yorker, "dressed in the Abercrombie & Fitch version of What a Man Should Wear in the Wilderness," walks up to a laconic Maine lobsterman. "I see you are using fish bait for lobsters. You think it's good, do you?" he asks. The lobsterman shakes his head. "No, I don't. But the lobsters do."
Brilliant…Since then, readers have sent us over 20 million true stories and jokes, about 100,000 of which have been published.

One of them I read reminded me of my visit to the cinema last night. I had a the unfortunate experience of having to sit infront of two ladies who continued to talk to each other throughout the entire film…OK, not all of it, but it sometimes felt like it…

Do the Right Thing5. Watching a movie recently, I couldn't hear the dialogue over the chatter of the two women in front of me. Unable to bear it any longer, I tapped one of them on the shoulder. "Excuse me," I said. "I can't hear." "I should hope not," she answered. "This is a private conversation."
Anyway, I enjoyed some of the best as edited by RD….
http://www.rd.com/clean-jokes-and-laughs/our-50-funniest-true-stories/article93740.html

No comments:

Post a Comment