Wednesday, April 1, 2009

BatFink


So there I was on a stormy night, bright flashes of lightening illuminating my otherwise dark room, tossing and turning in a restless sleep.
Something inside me stirred. I felt as though I was not alone in this dark dwelling, well besides Steffi (named after the lovely Steffi Graf..no less), my old canine companion. Without pause, I got up and reached for the light to confirm my suspicions.
Flying in a pattern as if it had been tied to the central light fitting, was a bat. It was moving in a circles in my very square shaped room. A bloody bat of all Gods creatures, in my room on a dark stormy night? The omens did not look good. My gut churned as scenes of the little vermin sucking the blood from livestock, sharp pointed teeth stained with blood flashed across my eyes. Red eyes, Dracula, hell even Satan made a brief appearance, and why not. This was not a night to be fucked with, to be very sure. How many people in the history of the world had been visited in their room by a bat, a creature of the night? Not many I would wager.

My next and very poignant question was..get the little sucker out? A sinner, I certainly am, but a murderer? never. Without too much thought, hatched a plan to throw a towel over it which would not be too difficult considering its very repetitive flight routine, around and around and around…see?

Just as I had suspected, my cunning bore fruit and the little black winged rat was soon free. Perhaps I am being unkind for it was actually quite harmless and in a devilish kind of way, quite cute. That is not to say that I was not still under the illusion that this uninvited guest had brought with it, a very bad kind of luck, shit luck if you like.

I awoke to a bright new day determined to read up my fate, this new hex that had been brought upon me. I am no shaman, I believe not in the tokoloshe, nor have I ever seen a voodoo ritual in action, besides, of course, in the Witches of Eastwick and in one of those James Bond films. The most I have done is play glassy glassy, which didn't work, oh and I tried Yoga once, but I don't think that fits in the same category.

To my humbling astonishment, following a trip to Google… I realised that the little fella had in fact brought me more than the promise of a visit to tombstone lane, Dracula close and Satan Circle…
Transition, Rebirth:
The bat totem can trigger change or transformation. Its visit can be a warning that change will soon occur and not to be afraid. Sometimes the bat is a symbol for facing ones fears.

A Bat totem appearing in your life is a call for the end of a way of life and the beginning of another. You must face your greatest fears and get rid of the part of your life that no longer is needed.This transition is very frightening for many: “better the devil you know…”But you will not grow spiritually until the old parts are gone.

Face the darkness before you and you will find the light in rebirth.

Like shoo wow and all that. The reading was quite deep. Having read the final sentence over again, I felt, well I felt a little like, well Batman, actually… go figure.

Joke of the day…

Batman and Robin are camping in the desert, set up their tent and are asleep. Some hours later, Batman wakes his faithful friend. “Robin, look up at the sky and tell me what you see.”
Robin replies, ” I see millions of stars.”
“What does that tell you?” asks Batman.
Robin ponders for a minute.
“Astronomically speaking, it tells me that there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets. Astrologically, it tells me that Saturn is in Leo. Chronologically, it appears to be approximately a quarter past three. Theologically, it’s evident the Lord is all-powerful and we are small and insignificant. Meteorologically, it seems we will have a beautiful day tomorrow. What does it tell you, Batman?”
“Robin, you idiot, someone has stolen our tent.”

1 comment:

  1. I think the James Bond movie was called Octopussy (can't write/say that without sniggering).

    Welcome to the blogosphere garethv

    ReplyDelete