Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Sports for brekkie, lunch and dinner


I am a sports nut - I remember every important event in my life, namely the day I first bumped uglies, and the day I broke up with my first girlfriend (which was in spite of the Boks playing, not because of by the way) through a sporting event that either took place on the day, or was at least within the nearest ball park…so to speak.
It’s a really good thing too, because I am crap at remembering dates, but I can tell you what day the 1996 Currie Cup Final was played and between whom, and the winner in a single breathe, phew.
I mentioned this to a friend the other day, and their comment was contrite…you watch too much sport!

It kind of makes me think…what would life be without sports? Would people be less competitive? No there is business for that, and traffic of course… there wouldn’t be so many beef heads out there?
Would we all look like Americans – fat and lipo-sucked to shit with whiter than white teeth? Homer Simpsonesque… mmm donuts, mmm Duff beer, but why drink beer if there is no telly with sport on to enjoy?

Without sports there wouldn’t be some cracking quotes either…Don’t worry I am not going to get all Jerry Mafucken guire on you..

Ok maybe close…this one from Shaquille O'Neal I am pretty sure enspired the movie in the first place…
I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Doctors and scientists said that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt. Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead. - Roger Bannister four minute mile legend

Whoever said, 'It's not whether you win or lose that counts,' probably lost. Matina Navratilova… tennis player who knew a thing or two about the game…

One of my favourites…
Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. Bill Shankly

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. Mario (I am never getting into a race car with him…ever) Andretti
Amen

1 comment:

  1. And that's why Bobi misses you so much!

    With my life being the car crash it is, I'm glad I'm learning to cycle.

    ReplyDelete